Skip to main content
Illustrated banner image

How to get help

This section will help you find who you need to speak to about getting the help you need.

Crimes, bullying and staying safe

Feeling pressured to do something, either online or in real life, or worried about bullying?

Police Scotland have a whole website just for children and young people giving lots of advice on everything from staying safe, life at home, your rights, and where to get help if you need it. 

If you have any questions, or need information and support about something we haven’t covered in these pages, then call the Young Scot Infoline on 0808 801 0338 or email  where we answer enquiries from 10am–6pm, Monday to Friday. 

If you or someone you know is in danger, you can call the police, 24 hours a day, on 111.

If there is an emergency, just call 999, at any time.

LGBT Youth Scotland

LGBT Youth Scotland provides quality youth work to LGBTI young people and works in partnership for LGBTI equality and human rights.  Find out more at

Mental health

The first step to getting help is usually that you will be referred for an assessment. This referral can come from your parents, carers, a teacher, GP, or yourself if you are old enough. 

If you’re being supported by social care, a youth offending team, or a service at your school, they might also be able to refer you. It’s important to tell the person referring you as much as you can so you can get the help you need.

Find out more on the mental health services page.

Relationships Scotland Orkney

Are you struggling with something and need someone to talk to, outside school and home? We offer talking therapies and play therapy for children. This gives you a safe place to see someone about what’s going on for you. 

Find out more about play therapy or visit the Relationships Scotland Orkney website.

Right There LogoRight There

Right There for People

Right There Orkney’s youth counselling programme. We are free and confidential and specialise in counselling for young people up to the age of 25.

Youth counsellors are here to support you through issues such as stress, depression, anxiety, confidence, self-esteem, self-harm, feeling alone, bullying and substance use. Our counselling offers as face to face sessions, we also offer online or telephone counselling. Appointments can be flexible so we can be there when you need us. We can meet you at your GP surgery, at college, at our office or somewhere else which is convenient for you.

For more information contact us at

Right There at Home 

Young Persons’ Supported Accommodation (YPSAS) offers supported accommodation for young people, up to the age of 25, who are experiencing or at risk of homelessness.

YPSAS supports with developing independent living skills, such as cooking, budgeting, maintaining your tenancy and offers practical, emotional, and therapeutic support.

For referral for the service please contact:  Housing, Homelessness Department, Orkney Islands Council, Kirkwall, KW15 1NY telephone: 01856 873535

Right There in The Community

Right There Wellbeing Orkney service offers practical, emotional and mental health support to people up to the age of 25 and for people of all ages who would are affected by substance use.

We support people in their own homes, or in other community settings and can offer support for those who are waiting on counselling or following the counselling journey.

For more information contact us at

School Health Team (School Nurses) 

The team offer a confidential service providing support and advice on health issues for children from school entry age until 19 years old in all educational establishments. 

They attended Stromness Academy and Kirkwall Grammar School on a weekly basis and hold a drop in service. They also attend the Junior Highs on the outer isles on a monthly basis to provide the same drop in service.  

They are able to support on a wide range of topics, such as; mental health, bullying, healthy lifestyles, relationships, sleep, anxiety, online safety and much more.

You can self refer to us using our referral cards and boxes located in the secondary schools or by getting in touch via email. 

If you don’t feel comfortable getting in touch yourself, you can discuss with any of your teachers and they can submit a referral for you.  

Speech and Language Therapy

Speech and language therapy operates an open referral system. This means that parents, carers, young people or any professional can request assistance where there is a concern about a child or young person’s wellbeing as a result of speech, language, communication, or eating and drinking difficulties.

All requests for assistance must have parental or carer consent for children under 16 years of age. Young people and young adults 16 years and over must give consent themselves.

Please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01856 888239 or

We are based at The Balfour, Foreland Road, Kirkwall KW15 1NZ

Anyone can make a Request for Assistance by completing our Request for Assistance Form.